Early Years Foundation Stage
A warm welcome to all our new children and families.
The curriculum we follow is called the Early Years Foundation Stage. This can be read here.
Information for parents and carers
- Please read our 'Settling into Lyndhurst' guide to get you started.
- You can find information about the EYFS curriculum and provision from birth to 5 at this website http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/
- A Parent's Guide to the EYFS here is also helpful if you'd like to know more.
- 'What to expect, when?' will tell you which learning and develoment stages the children go through from birth to five. It will also give you ideas and tips for how to help you child with their learning at home and may be particularly useful if your child has younger siblings. Read it here!
- Here is a list of free activities that parents and carers can do with their children at home. This list was created by staff and parents at our '6 week in meeting'. This can be read here.
- WOW cards for sharing your child's achievements at home are here! We love to share them!
As you can see the children enjoy our free flow in the classroom and in our areas. We are very lucky to have the front playground, courtyard and the corridor for the children to free flow. We currently carry out Objective Led Planning. This is a type of planning and teaching which allows all staff to really get to know the children really well. The planning has the children's current assessments and their next steps in their learning. This allows all members of staff to encourage progress whenever they are with the children. Objective Led Planning gives the staff opportunities to take the learning to the child's play, therefore, ensuring their is a high level of engagement and maximising on every learning opportunity.
The children were asked to create memory boxes over the summer holidays and to bring them into their new classes in September, to share with staff and their peers. The boxes allowed children to find out other peoples interests and begin to make friends.
This term we have been looking at different occupations. We found that the children really enjoyed dressing up and role playing. We then decided to use this and create the topics 'When I grow up'. The children have had many different visitors come in and explain what their jobs are. The children have loved this topic. See attached medium term plan for curriculum links here.
Here are just a few photos from our visitors but there are still more to come.....
In phonics, we follow the order we teach it in a document called 'Letters and Sounds' but we use the resources from the 'Letterland' series. The children absolutely love the characters and each letter is taught with its own character, story, song and action. Information about the characters and their actions can be found in the front of your child's blue contact book. More information can be found on the Letterland website.
The songs for each character can be found here:
There are some video links on Youtube but these are not regularly checked by the school, so please watch the links with your child so they don't access other content.
You can also find some phonic games on these websites:
- https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/InteractiveResources.htm (select phase 2 or 3)
Other helpful websites:
Find some counting games here: www.familylearning.org.uk/counting_games.html
Or here: ictgames.com/counting.htm (look out for the YR games)
Don't forget about Bug Club and Doodle Maths. Your child's log in will be in their book bag or contact book. These website are great for home learning and to support your child in Literacy and Maths skills.